You will design and make a product of your choice and produce a folder of work to support the project. As a designer you will learn creative skills to research, design and model a series of products before beginning your final project. You will also learn about manufacturing processes (how products are made), materials (what products are made from), customers (who products are made for and why) and environmental awareness (product lifecycle, recycling) so we can prepare for the terminal exam.
Component 1: Personal investigation
- Started in June of Y12 and completed by middle of January of Y13
- 96 marks
- 60% of A-level
- Non-exam assessment (NEA) set and marked by the centre and moderated by AQA during a visit to the centre. Visits will normally take place in June.
Component 2: Externally set assignment:
- Response to an externally set assignment
- Preparatory period plus 15 hours supervised time
- 96 marks
- 40% of A-level
- Non-exam assessment (NEA) set by AQA, marked by the centre and moderated by AQA during a visit to the centre. Visits will normally take place in June.
|1: Personal Investigation||Non-exam assessment||No time limit||60%|
|2: Externally set assignment||Non-exam assessment||Preparatory period + 15 hours supervised time||40%|
- Start Date: September 2024
- Awarding Body: AQA
- Study Mode: Full Time
- Course Length: 2 Years
The course compliments Graphics, Art & Design, English Language, English Literature, Computing, ICT, Psychology and the sciences.
Product Design leads to University or apprentice based careers, from creative arts and design to engineering, including Product design; Interior design; Industrial design; Automotive design; Computer based design; Architecture; Teaching; Advertising; Manufacturing; Engineering (aerospace, F1, industrial, construction, transport infrastructure), and STEM (science, technology, engineering, maths) careers. Design is one of the top 3 most popular courses/careers at university/college.